The Chennai Metro is a rapid transit system serving the city of Chennai in Tamil Nadu, India. Currently Chennai Metro network has 32 active stations. Here you will get information about Chennai Metro such as metro lines, train starts from, train ends to, route map, top attractions in city nearby metro stations, interesting facts, fare chart, city metro news etc.
Chennai Metro Fare Chart
|No. of Station||Metro Fare (₹)||Smart Card Fare (₹)|
|4 to 8 Stations||40||36|
|9 to 13 Stations||50||45|
|More than 13||60||54|
- Above fare chart is not offical, but based on the observations of fare on below link:
- There is 10% discount using Store Value Card.
- And 50% discount on Sunday and Public Holidays
- 20% discounted fare (in Rupees) for single trip Normal class using Trip card.
- 1 Day - Rs.100/- (Fare) + Rs.50/- (Refundable Deposit) on surrender of card.
- 30 days Rs. 2500/-(Fare) + Rs. 50/- (Refundable Deposit) on surrender of card
Interesting Facts about Chennai Metro
- The Chennai Metro is a rapid transit system serving the city of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- The first operation began on 29 June 2015 for the public, which spanned the seven stations Koyambedu to Alandur over a distance of 10 kilometres.
- The services operate daily between 4:30 and 23:00 with a varying frequency of 5 to 14 minutes.
- Chennai Metro runs in standard gauge measuring 1,435 millimetres (56.5 in) and the lines are double-tracked.
- The average speed of operation is 35 kilometres per hour (22 mph) and maximum speed is 80 kilometres per hour (50 mph).
- Chennai Metro is also planning to use solar power for five of its stations on the elevated corridor, with a production capacity of 200 KW.
- The first car in each train is a first class compartment with tickets costing twice as much as the second class tickets.
- The minimum fare is Rs. 10 and the maximum fare is Rs. 60. The first car in each train is a first class compartment with tickets costing twice as much as the second class tickets.
- There are four types of tickets issued by CMRL for travel in Chennai metro.
- 1. Single journey tokens which needs to be purchased each time for every journey at the ticket counter.
- 2. Stored value cards (SVC) are pre paid, rechargeable, travel cards that can be purchased at any ticket counter against a refundable deposit of rupees 50. They can be recharged up to a maximum of rupees 2000.
- 3. Trip Cards are for persons travelling between the same two stations regularly.
- 4. Tourist Cards provide the card holders unlimited ride on the Chennai Metro for 1 day.
- There is a discount of 50% for all journeys taken on Sundays and public holidays, applicable with single journey tokens (rupees 5 to rupees 30) and Stored Value Cards (rupees 4 to rupees 27).
- There are vaious slabs of penalties for offences starts from Rs. 50 to Rs. 5000 and imprisonment up to 10 Years. Charges depends on the type of penalty.
Top Attractions of Chennai City
|Attraction||Nearest Metro (Distance)|
|Connemara Public Library||-|
|Elliot's Beach||Teynampet (4.5 KM)|
|Government Museum||LIC (1.2 KM)|
|Guindy National Park||Saidapet (2.0 KM)|
|Marina Beach||Government Estate (2.9 KM)|
|Mylapore||Thousand Lights (2.2 KM)|
|Royapuram Fishing Harbour||Washermanpet (2.7 KM)|
|Sri Parthasarathy Temple||-|
|Thousand Lights Mosque||LIC (1.5 KM)|
|Valluvar Kottam||AG DMS (1.2 KM)|