|Kalady, Ernakulam, Cochin, Kochi (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Kalady open 24 hours every day, No entry fee.
|Temple, Religious Place
|Place visit with
|Friends, Solo, Parants, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|January, February, March, April
Kalady is a town near Malayattoor in Ernakulam district of Kerala, India. It is notable as the birthplace of the 8th century Indian philosopher Adi Shankara. It is also believed by the people that Kalady was found by a chieftain named Rajasekhar, whose dream was influenced by the Hindu god Shiva. He also built a temple for Shiva and a settlement for Brahmins at this place.
Interesting facts about Kalady
- Kalady is situated at the center of a sacred circuit, and is known for being the place where St. Thomas the Apostle stayed to pray and rest on his way to Mylapore. It is also an important stop for the Sabarimala pilgrimage, the largest annual pilgrimage in India, known to attract over 50 million devotees.
- Most of the buildings and structures in Kalady, both old as well as new, are associated with Adi Shankara, including the seven-storey Kirti Stambh, the Sringeri Math complex and several modern schools and colleges.
- The most important of the many temples in and around Kalady are the beautiful Kalila Temple, located 22 km from the main town, the Shiva Temple, or the temple of the 'dancing white deer', and the beautiful Kuzhipillikavu Jaladurga Temple at Perumbavoor, which is partially. Submerged during monsoon.
- The history of this beautiful and holy city is intrinsically linked with the Periyar River. The subject of many popular songs, it is the second longest river in Kerala. Historically and culturally rich, Kalady has a lot to offer to the curious traveller.
How to reach Kalady
By Air:- Kochi International Airport, Nedumbassery is the nearest airport, which is about 5 km from Kalady.
By Rail:- Ernakulam, Angamaly are the nearest railway stations at around 8 km.
By Bus:- Bus service is also available from Kerala to Kalady. The Kerala State Road Transport Corporation operates several buses that ply to Kalady.
Nearby famous places
- Subhash Park 28.15 KM away
- Archaeological Museum 25.64 KM away
- Cherai Beach 28.48 KM away
- Mattancherry Palace 30.67 KM away
- Shrine Of Our Lady Of Ransom 28.75 KM away
- Vasco Da Gama Square 31.18 KM away
- Hill Palace of Tripunithura 25.64 KM away
- Santa Cruz Basilica 31.24 KM away
- Jewish Synagogue in 30.73 KM away
- St. Thomas Church in 9.48 KM away
- Thrikkakara Vamana Moorthy Temple 19.16 KM away