|MG Road, Kochi (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings:- It is open from 9 am to 6 pm.
|Zoo, Nature Sites and Parks
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Parants, Siblings
|Best time to visit
|July, August, September, October, November, December
|Kaloor Metro Station (2 KM) Town Hall Metro Station (2 KM) MG Road Metro Station (1 KM) Maharaja College Metro Station (2 KM)
About Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary
Mangalvanam Bird Sanctuary, located in the heart of Kochi, Kerala, has a rich history and ecological importance. The area is home to a variety of migratory birds and densely populated tree and plant species. The site was declared a protected sanctuary in 2004. A bird survey conducted in May 2006 found that there were 194 birds of 32 species. The total number of bird species recorded so far from the area is 72. Some of the mangroves and mangrove associate species present in this sanctuary are Avicennia officinalis, Rhizophora mucronata, Acanthus ilicifolius and Acrostichum aureum. The sanctuary has a watch tower which has a spectacular view of the sanctuary which is a major attraction for tourists. Tourists can explore its serene environment, observe the rich bird life and appreciate the beauty of its wetland ecosystem.
Architecture of Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary
It is a haven for a variety of resident and migratory birds. Spread over an area of 2.74 hectares, this sanctuary is an ideal paradise for bird lovers. Replete with a variety of trees and plants, the sanctuary enjoys a pleasant temperature.
Interesting facts about Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary
- It is also known as the "Green Lung of Kochi" due to its lush vegetation and vibrant fauna. It is one of the few places that is away from the widespread pollution that affects the city.
- The sanctuary also has some endangered mammals such as the Eurasian otter, three-striped squirrel and flying fox. If you are lucky you can also see these amazing animals in the sanctuary.
- A shallow tidal lake is located within the sanctuary hidden amidst dense forests. A canal connects the Cochin backwaters to the lake.
- It is a nesting site for a variety of migratory birds and supports many types of mangroves.
How to reach Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary
By Air:- The nearest airport to the bird sanctuary is Nedumbassery at a distance of about 34 km. You can easily reach the sanctuary by booking a cab from here.
By Train:- Nearest railway station is Ernakulam South at a distance of about 4 km. From here you can easily reach the bird sanctuary by taking a rickshaw.
By Bus:- Ernakulam Bus Stand, Cochin Bus Stand is the nearest major bus stand to reach Mangalavanam.
Nearby famous places
- Malabar Cafe 0.9 km away
- Grand Lounge 0.9 km away
- Indian Coffee House 0.4 km away
- Mamma Restaurant 0.4 km away
- CocoCraft Chocolate Factory 0.5 km away
- Big Fat Momo 0.6 km away
- Hotel Saravana Bhavan Restaurant 0.6 km away
- Spice Slice 0.6 km away
- Arabella Restaurant at PGS Vedanta 0.5 km away
- Nature Health Food Restaurant 0.5 km away