|Pallipuram, Kochi (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings:- Willingdon Island are open to visitors from morning till evening. Entry Fee: The no entry fee
|Forts & Tombs, Monuments
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Friends, Married Couples, Unmarried Couples, Parants, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
About Pallipuram Fort
Pallipuram Fort was built by the Portuguese in 1503, making it one of the oldest European forts in India. It was originally constructed as a defensive fortification against potential Dutch and local attacks. Later, the Dutch captured the fort in 1661 and eventually sold it to the Kingdom of Travancore in 1789. The fort has witnessed several historical events and changing hands between different colonial powers.
Architecture of Pallipuram Fort
Pallipuram Fort, also known as Ayikkotta or Ayakotta, is a historical fort located in the Indian state of Kerala, near the town of Pallipuram in Kochi (Cochin). This fort is one of the oldest existing European fortifications in India and has a unique architectural significance.
Interesting facts about Pallipuram Fort
- Pallipuram Fort is often referred to as the "Dutch Palace" due to its history of Dutch ownership.
- It is a protected monument under the Kerala State Archaeology Department.
How to reach Pallipuram Fort
By Road: You can reach Pallipuram Fort by road from Kochi, which is well-connected by a network of roads. The fort is about 25-30 kilometers from Kochi city.
By Train: The nearest railway station to Pallipuram Fort is the Ernakulam Junction Railway Station, which is about 20-25 kilometers away. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the fort.
By Air: The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport, located approximately 40-45 kilometers away from Pallipuram Fort. You can hire a taxi or use public transportation to reach the fort from the airport.
By Bus: Regular buses ply from various parts of Kochi to Vypeen Island. Once on the island, you can easily reach Pallipuram Fort by local transportation or taxi.
Nearby famous places
- Vypeen Beach: Approximately 5 kilometers away.
- Cherai Beach: Around 15 kilometers from Pallipuram Fort.
- Fort Kochi: About 20-25 kilometers away, famous for its historical significance and Chinese fishing nets.
- Mattancherry Palace: Located in Fort Kochi, approximately 20-25 kilometers from the fort.
- Marine Drive, Kochi: Around 20-25 kilometers away, known for its scenic beauty and promenade.