|Bastian St, Fort Nagar, Fort Kochi, Kochi, Kochi (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Santa Cruz Basilica open 09:00 am to 01:00 pm and 03:00 pm to 05:00 pm, Mass timings Wednesday 06:00 pm and Sunday 05:30pm every day, No entry fee.
|Churches, Religious Place
|Place visit with
|Family, Married Couples, Friends, Parants, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|January, February March
About Santa Cruz Basilica
The Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi, Kochi is one of the nine basilicas in Kerala. It is a place of devotion as well as a center of historical importance, endowed with architectural and artistic grandeur and the colors of the Gothic style.
The foundation stone of the Santa Cruz Church was laid on 3 May 1505, the day of the Feast of the Invention of the Holy Cross, so upon completion the magnificent building was named Santa Cruz.
Architecture of Santa Cruz Basilica
The church has two high peaks that welcome everyone from afar. The exterior is white-washed and surprisingly bright and the interior is pastel-colored. The interior of the church has Gothic style of architecture with massive arches and an awe-inspiring altar.
Interesting facts about Santa Cruz Basilica
- The church, which is over 500 years old, has an eventful past before the arrival of the Portuguese in 1500. It was given by the then king of Cochin as a token of gratitude for his help in defeating the Zamorins of Calicut.
- During the Feast of the "Invention of the Holy Cross", the foundation stone of this church was laid and upon completion, it was renamed Santa Cruz Cathedral. Later, when the Dutch conquered Cochin.
- Santa Cruz Cathedral was used as an armory. However, it was later dissolved after the British took over the city in 1795.
- After the destruction of the Santa Cruz Cathedral, this monumental cathedral has an elaborate granite pillar. The column is still placed on the southeast corner of the current basilica.
- When Bishop Dom Ju Gomes Ferreira was appointed as the Bishop of Cochin in the year 1887, he took the initiative to rebuild the Santa Cruz Cathedral.
How to reach Santa Cruz Basilica
By Air:- International Airport Ernakulam is at Nedumbassery near Aluva, about 22 km from Kochi. From here you can take a cab.
By Rail:- The nearest station is at Ernakulam, about 13 km from Fort Kochi. Kochi has 2 stations, Ernakulam Junction and Ernakulam Town.
By Bus:- Buses from Ernakulam to Fort Kochi are frequent. The bus ride from Ernakulam town, about 13 km away, takes about an hour. KSRTC Central Bus Station is near to Ernakulam Junction Railway Station.
Nearby famous places
- Chinese Fishing Nets 571 m away
- Jew Town 2.21 km away
- Jewish Synagogue 2.15 km away
- Kerala Folklore Museum 7.26 km away
- Mattancherry Palace 2.13 km away
- Church of Saint Francis 341 m away
- Wonderla Amusement Park 18.14 km away
- Fort Kochi Beach 493 m away
- Cherai Beach 21 km away
- Ayurville 314 m away
- Kerala Backwaters 50.49 km away
- Princess Street 612 m away