|Lahori Tola, Gyanvapi, Varanasi (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|No Timings. No Entry Fee
|Palace & Landmarks, Monument
|Place visit with
|Solo, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
About Gyan Vapi Well
It is located in the premises of Vishwanath Temple in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. The water of this well is considered more sacred than the water of the Ganges river. It is said that when Aurangzeb attacked the Kashi Vishwanath temple, the chief priest hid it in a well to protect the Shivling. Gyan Vapi Well meaning "well of knowledge", the well is visited by many Hindu devotees.
It is believed that those who drink the water of this well attain higher levels of spirituality. Tourists and devotees can visit Gyan Kupa here, Friday is the best day to visit the well.
Interesting facts about Gyan Vapi Well
- It is said that if you look into the well and see your reflection, you are blessed by Lord Shiva.
- It is a famous place in Varanasi where people from all over the country come to seek blessings.
- It is believed that many precious artefacts and ornaments from the temple were hidden in this well, which were kept here to protect them from thieves.
- Tourists can enjoy nature walks around the temple and participate in Maha Aarti, paying homage to the Shivling.
- Gyanvapi well is such an integral part of Vishweshwar (Vishwanath) which is considered to be the center of Kashi.
- According to legends, the well is called the well of knowledge.
How to reach Gyan Vapi Well
By Air:- Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport is the nearest airport to Kashi Vishwanath Temple. Which is at a distance of 25 km or less than an hour. From here you can book a cab and go to the temple.
By Train:- Varanasi City Station near the temple is just 2 km away, by booking an auto you can easily reach your destination without any hassle.
By Road:- Varanasi is well connected by all roadways. You can reach the famous temple by autorickshaw or taxi along Vishwanath Gali.
Nearby famous places
- Varanasi Remembrances 6 minutes away
- Nepali Temple (Kathwala Temple) 6 minutes away
- Manikarnika Ghat 8 minutes away
- Ayurvedic Spa 5 minutes away
- Baba the School of Music 6 minutes away
- Dasaswamedh Ghat 10 minutes away
- Ganges River 11 minutes away
- Banaras Lanes 10 minutes away
- Man Mandir Ghat 7 minutes away
- Banaras Ghats 12 minutes away
- Taal Music 9 minutes away