|Hatkhola, Kolkata, Kolkata (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Kumartuli is open from 24 hours all days in week. No entry fee.
|Art Galleries & Museum, Museum and Gallery
|Place visit with
|Best time to visit
|May, June, July, August
|Shyambazaar Metro Station (1 KM) Shobhabazar Sutanuti Metro Station (1 KM) Girish Park Metro Station (1 KM) Mahatma Gandhi Road Metro Station (2 KM)
Kumortuli is a traditional potter's quarter in North Kolkata, West Bengal India. The city is famous for its sculptural skills. It not only manufactures clay idols for various festivals but also regularly exports them.
Interesting facts about Kumortuli
- The artisans here make idols by putting final touches on the clay idols of Durga and her four children- Saraswati, Lakshmi, Ganesh and Kartikeya.
- Artisans or artists usually prepare idols of gods and goddesses in their workshops out of raw clay.
- The best time to visit Kumartuli is a few months before Durga Puja, as one can see incredible skeletal works of idols of Goddess Durga here.
- Along with a steady business in straw and clay sculptures of Durga and her family, artisans are now making the most of the growing demand for a range of other gods and demons.
How to reach Kumortuli
By Bus:- This area is easily connected by roads due to buses plying right next to Kumartuli. You can easily reach here by bus.
By Metro:- If you want to take metro, you have to get down at Shobhabazar metro station and walk from there to the locality.
By Train: The nearest railway station is Bagbazar which is about ten minutes away from Banmali Sarkar Street. Local trains are always available from every part of the city.
Nearby famous places
- Sikh Gurudwara 0.7 km away
- Eden Gardens 2.6 km away
- Shree Aadi Bhootnath Mandir 0.8 km away
- Howrah Bridge 2.7 km away
- College Street (Boi Para) 2.7 km away
- Ramakrishna Mission Swami Vivekananda's Ancestral House and Cultural Centre 1.5 km away
- Radha Madhup Mandir 0.8 km away
- Jain Swetamber Dadajika Temple 2.3 km away
- Malik Ghat Flower Market 2 km away
- G & Aswari Shankha Bhander 0.9 km away