|Howrah, Kolkata (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings:- This is open from 06:30 AM to 11:30 PM in the morning and then from 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM in the evening. Entry Fee:- No entry fee.
|Temple, Religious Place
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Friends, Married Couples, Solo, Parants, Siblings
|Best time to visit
|September, October, November, December
|Dakshineswar Metro Station (2 KM)
About Belur Math
Belur Math was founded in 1897 by Swami Vivekananda, one of the foremost disciples of Sri Ramakrishna. It was established to propagate the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna and promote the harmony of religions. The main temple at Belur Math, known as the Universal Temple, is a symbol of the unity of all religions.
Architecture of Belur Math
The architecture of Belur Math is a blend of various styles, including Hindu, Christian, and Islamic elements. The main temple, the Universal Temple, is designed to be a place of harmony and features stunning artwork and intricate carvings. The temple is also known for its unique blend of Hindu and Christian architectural motifs.
Interesting facts about Belur Math
- The main temple houses the relics of Sri Ramakrishna.
- Swami Vivekananda's room, where he meditated and attained enlightenment, is preserved within the complex.
- Belur Math serves as a center for philanthropic activities, including education, healthcare, and relief work.
How to reach Belur Math
By Road: Belur Math is well-connected by road to Kolkata and other nearby cities. You can hire a taxi or use public transportation to reach the destination.
By Train: The nearest railway station is Belur Math Railway Station, which is just a short walk away from the complex. Howrah Railway Station, one of the major railway hubs in Kolkata.
By Air: The nearest airport is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata, which is approximately 20 kilometers from Belur Math. You can take a taxi from the airport to reach the destination.
By Bus: Kolkata has an extensive bus network. You can take a bus to reach Belur Math, and there are also private buses and mini-buses that ply to and from the complex.
Nearby famous places
- Dakshineswar Kali Temple - 6 km away
- Howrah Bridge - 15 km away
- Victoria Memorial - 12 km away
- Indian Museum - 13 km away
- Kalighat Kali Temple - 17 km away
- Marble Palace - 15 km away
- Eden Gardens - 15 km away
- Science City - 17 km away