|Ujjain Kota Raj Marg, Susner, Madhya Pradesh, Kolkata (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings: The temple is open for visitors from 6 am to 7 pm. The best time to visit is during daylight hours., Entry Fee: There is usually no entry fee to visit the Calcutta Jain Temple.
|Temple, Religious Place
|Place visit with
|Family, Married Couples, Friends, Parants, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|September, October, November, December
About Calcutta Jain Temple
Jain Temple is a popular Jain temple located on Badridas Mandir Street in Kolkata city. The Calcutta Jain Temple has a rich history dating back to the late 19th century. It was constructed in 1867 by a group of Jain trustees and has since served as a place of worship and spiritual reflection for the Jain community. This temple is dedicated to Lord Parshvanath, the 23rd Tirthankara of Jainism. The Jain temple is actually a complex of 4 temples – Shitalnath Temple, Chandraprabhuji Temple, Mahavir Swami Temple, and Dadawadi and Kushal Maharaj Temple. The structure of each of these temples has a captivating architecture with mirrors, colored glass and intricate designs. The structure is mostly made of marble with floral designs and has carefully decorated entrances, walls, pillars and floors.
Architecture of Calcutta Jain Temple
The architecture of the temple is a blend of traditional Jain temple design with ornate marble work. It has intricately carved pillars, elaborate friezes and beautiful glass work. The sanctum sanctorum houses the idol of Lord Parshvanath, an important figure in Jainism. The interiors of the temple are lavishly decorated with high quality mirrors and mirrors, the ceilings are adorned with chandeliers.
Interesting facts about Calcutta Jain Temple
- Calcutta Jain Temple is famous for its peaceful and spiritual environment, making it a serene place within the bustling city.
- The temple also has a small museum which displays various Jain artefacts and manuscripts of religious importance.
- The temple attracts both devotees and tourists interested in Jain culture and architecture.
- Photography may be prohibited inside the temple, so it is important to respect the rules and customs.
- The annual Paryushan festival is an important event at the temple when Jains engage in prayer, contemplation and fasting.
How to reach Calcutta Jain Temple
By Road: Calcutta Jain Temple can be easily reached by road, as buses and rickshaws are available which can take some fare to reach the temple.
By Train: The temple is 12 kilometers away from Howrah Junction, from here you can take a rickshaw to reach the temple.
By Air: The nearest airport to the temple is Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, located 18 kilometers away. From here you can easily reach the temple by taking a cab.
Nearby famous places
- Victoria Memorial 7 Kms away
- Howrah Bridge 12 km away
- Indian Museum 8 Kms away
- Dakshineswar Kali Temple 12 Kms away
- Garden of Eden 9 km away
- Birla Mandir (Lakshmi Narayan Temple) 7 Kms away
- Science City 12 Kms away