|Location||Apollo Bandar, Colaba, Mumbai (Map)|
|Entry Fee & Timings||Gateway of India open for 24 hours, No entry fees.|
|Place Type||Gateway, Monument|
|Place visit with||Family, Friends|
|Best time to visit||October, November, December, January, Februay, March|
|Nearest Metro||Marol Naka Metro Station (21 KM) Saki Naka Metro Station (21 KM)|
About Gateway of India
The Gateway of India is a building located in Mumbai, it was inaugurated on 4 December 1924 by the Viceroy, Earl of Reading. The reason behind building the Gateway of India was that in the year 1911, King George V of England and his wife Queen Mary were about to visit the Delhi Durbar in India, when the British Government ordered to build the Gateway of India but King George V And his wife Queen Mary could only see a model of the structure of the Gateway of India as it was built by 1915.
Architecture of Gateway of India
The structural design of the Gateway of India consists of a large arch, which is 26 meters in height. The monument is built in yellow basalt and insoluble concrete. The structural plan of the Gateway of India is designed in the Indo-Saracenic style. The central dome of the monument is about 48 feet in diameter, with a total height of 83 feet.
Interesting facts about Gateway of India
- It has been the site of three major terrorist attacks in the country that took place in 2003 and 2008 at the Taj Mahal Hotel and other prominent locations in Mumbai.
- he last British ship after India's independence sailed from the Gateway of India in 1947 to leave the country and made it a legend.
- During the rule of the British Government, it was used as an arrival point for visitors coming from the West.
- The monument is surrounded by another major tourist attraction of Mumbai, Marine Drive, which is facing the vast Arabian Sea.
How to reach Gateway of India
By Bus:- The bus station near Gateway of India is Holy Name School which is 6 minutes walk away.
By Railway:- The railway station near Gateway of India is Churchgate which is at a walk of 24 minutes.
By Road:- You can also take auto or rickshaw to go to Gateway of India which will be available publicly here.
Nearby famous places
- Indian Museum Ship (Vikrant) 1 minute from Gateway of India
- Reality Tours and Travel 6 minutes from Gateway of India
- Sukhdaa The Cultural Spa 6 minutes from Gateway of India
- Statue Of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj 3 minutes from Gateway of India
- Design Temple 3 minutes from Gateway of India
- Sukho Thai 5 minutes from Gateway of India
- Colaba 8 minutes from Gateway of India
- Food Tours of Mumbai 7 minutes from Gateway of India
- Bowen Memorial Methodist Church 5 minutes from Gateway of India
- Mumbai Moments 12 minutes from Gateway of India