|Byculla East, Near Byculla Railway Station, Mumbai, Mumbai (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Virbhai Jijabai Bhosale zoo open from 09:00 am and 06:00 pm all days in week (Wednesday close). Entry fee for adult Rs 100 and child Rs 25 per head.
|Zoo, Nature Sites and Parks
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Friends, Parants, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|May, June, July, August
About Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Zoo
Veermata Jijabai Bhonsle Udyan is considered to be the oldest zoo located in Mumbai. It was opened to the public by Lady Frere on 19 November 1862. The corporation took over the control of the maintenance of the garden.
Architecture of Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Zoo
Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Zoo is spread over 50 acres and is considered to be the oldest zoo.The ornamental entrance to the garden and the buildings is made in Greco-Roman style, which is another attractive feature. An idol of Jijamata and Shivaji is also on display in the garden.
Interesting facts about Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Zoo
- The clock tower at the entrance of Victoria Garden is a testimony to Italian and Renaissance architecture in India.
- The botanical garden at Victoria Gardens is very well maintained and includes some ancient trees as well as rare plant species. These plants are also used for various researches and studies.
- The zoo functioning in Jijamata Park is home to various endangered species of animals and birds. The Bhau Daji Lad Museum, formerly known as the 'Victoria and Albert Museum' after the Prince Consort and Queen of India, houses a large collection of archeological artifacts.
- The culture and art of India has been displayed and displayed through the valuable collection of this museum. There are also provisions to enjoy elephant ride safaris where you can spot many other animals and get a closer look.
- The garden also houses the Dr. Bhau Daji Lad Museum, a staff building in Greco-Roman style, built in memory of Lady Frere, an equestrian statue of King Edward VII of England made of black marble.
How to reach Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Zoo
By Air: Mumbai International Airport is at a distance of 16 kms so that you can come here comfortably.
By Rail: Byculla Railway Station is at a distance of 550 meters.
By Road: Road Several city bus and taxi services are available throughout Mumbai and are easily accessible by road.
Nearby famous places
- Powai Lake (Veermata Jijabai Udyan) 17 minutes away from Mumbai Zoo
- Oberoi Mall 6.3 km from Mumbai Zoo (Veermata Jijabai Udyan)
- Shri Shri Radha Rasbihari Ji Mandir 7.9 KM from Mumbai Zoo (Veermata Jijabai Udyan)