|Pathar Gatti, Hyderabad (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings :- Tourists can visit the Haveli throughout the week except Fridays. Visit timings are from 10:30 AM to 5 PM., Entry Fee:- The entry fee of Purani Haveli is Rs. Rs.80 per person for adults. Rs.15 per person for children. The camera charges ca
|Palace & Landmarks, Monuments
|Place visit with
|Friends, Parants, Solo, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|April, May, June
|Osmania Medical College Metro Station (2 KM) MG Bus Station Metro Station (2 KM) Malakpet Metro Station (2 KM) Sultan Bazaar Metro Station (2 KM) Salarjung Museum Metro Station (1 KM) Charminar Metro Station (1 KM) Shah Ali Banda Metro Station (1 KM) Shamsherganj Metro Station (1 KM) Falaknuma Metro Station (1 KM)
About Purani Haveli
Purani Haveli, located in Hyderabad, India, is a historic palace complex that once served as the official residence of the Nizam of Hyderabad. The mansion was built for Sikandar Jah, Asaf Jah III (1803–1829) by his father Ali Khan Bahadur, Asaf Jah II. The architecture of the haveli is a mixture of Indo-European and Persian styles. It has intricately carved wooden ceilings, ornate stucco work and other architectural elements that reflect the grandeur and opulence of the Nizam's era. Today a part of the old haveli has been converted into the Nizam Museum. The museum displays the personal belongings, artefacts, jewellery, clothes and other properties of the Nizams of Hyderabad. It gives visitors a glimpse of the lavish lifestyle and rich cultural heritage of the Nizams.
Architecture of Purani Haveli
The Old Havelis epitomize European architecture beautifully synthesized with Islamic motifs and forms, including the delightful Mirror House or Aaina Khana and the Chinese House or Chinese Khana. The mansion is in a "U" shape, with two rectangular wings running parallel to each other and the residential palace located perpendicular to the centre. The main building resembles 18th century European palaces. A unique feature of this palace is the world's longest wardrobe, built in two levels with a hand-operated wooden lift. It occupies the entire length of a rectangular wing of the palace.
Interesting facts about Purani Haveli
- Most of the haveli (palace) has been converted into a school and some part is used as the Nizam's museum.
- This is one of the oldest constructions among the museums of Hyderabad, people also use this place for playing.
- There are many toys and building models and forts made entirely of gold.
- Entry into the premises is allowed only when one is visiting the museum, for which entry fee is separate.
- It is a must visit place for history buffs and architecture lovers, though it does not have the grandeur of Chowmohalla and Falaknuma, it is still worth a visit.
How to reach Purani Haveli
By Metro :- The nearest metro station to Purani Haveli is Osmania Medical College. It is a 13-minute walk.
By Rail :- Malakpet is the nearest railway station to Haveli. It is a 22-minute walk.
By Bus :- The nearest bus stop to Purani Haveli is Purani Haveli. It is a 3 minute walk.
Nearby famous places
- Nizam Museum 3 minutes away
- Salar Jung Museum 15 minutes away
- Mecca Masjid 19 minutes away
- Charminar 20 minutes away
- Chowmahalla Palace 27 minutes away
- Laad Bazaar 20 minutes away
- Taj Falaknuma Palace 4.2 km away
- Birla Mandir 4.8 km away
- Sri Ramakrishna Math 5.1 km away