|Location||Machchhi Bhavan, Lucknow, Lucknow (Map)|
|Entry Fee & Timings||This place open from sunrise to sunset all days in week, Entry fee for Indian Rs 50 and for foreigner Rs 500.|
|Place Type||Mosque, Religious Place|
|Place visit with||Family, Friends, Solo|
|Best time to visit||October, November, December, January, February, March|
|Nearest Metro||Charbagh Railway Station Metro Station (4 KM) Hazratganj Metro Station (4 KM)|
About Bara Imambara
The Bara Imambara, also known as the Asafi Imambara, is an imambara complex in Lucknow, India, built in 1784 by Asaf-ud-Daula, the Nawab of Awadh. The construction of the Bara Imambara was started in 1780, a year of devastating famine and one of Asaf-ud-Daula's objectives in undertaking this grand project was to provide employment to the people of the region for almost a decade, while the famine was on.
Architecture of Bara Imambara
The complex's architecture reflects the maturity of ornate Mughal design, making it one of the last major projects to not incorporate any European elements or the use of iron.
Interesting facts about Bara Imambara
- Iron has not been used anywhere in the making of this building, which is its most important feature. In addition, it does not include any European style of architecture.
- This building holds a great cultural, religious and historical importance and value.
- Bada Imambara is also known as Bhool Bhulaiya, there is a network of more than 1000 small paths to go inside, while there are only 2 ways to exit.
- There are a total of 3 huge rooms in this building and there are long streets hidden between their walls, which are about 20 feet thick.
How to reach Bara Imambara
By Metro:- Durgapuri Metro Station is near Bada Imambara which is 3 km away from here you can easily reach.
By Rail:- Bada Imambara Lucknow is only 5 km away from Lucknow Charbagh Railway Station. From here you can take taxi or auto.
By Road:- To Bada Imambara you can easily get local auto, vikram and city buses also at very cheap rate.
Nearby famous places
- Lucknow Heritage Walk 0.1 km away
- Satkhanda 0.2 km away
- Rumi Darwaza 0.6 km away
- Chowk 0.8 km away
- Chhota Imambara 1.2 km away
- British Residency 1.6 km away
- Aurangzeb's Mosque 0.6 km away
- Hazratganj 3.7 km away
- Hussainabad Picture Gallery 1.1 km away
- La Martiniere College 5.4 km away
- Aminabad 2.5 km away
- Husainabad Clock Tower 1.8 km away