|Government Estate, Chennai (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings:- This museum is open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on all days except Tuesday.
|Govt. Museum & Memorials, Museums
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Parants, Friends, Solo, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|May, June, July, August
|LIC Metro Station (2 KM) Thousand Lights Metro Station (1 KM) AG DMS Metro Station (1 KM) Teynampet Metro Station (2 KM) Pachaiyappa College Metro Station (2 KM)
About MGR Museum
The MGR Museum stands as a tribute to one of Tamil Nadu's most iconic figures, Marudur Gopalan Ramachandran. MGR began his journey as a successful actor in Tamil cinema, earning immense popularity and praise for his roles in various films. He later entered politics and served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu from 1977 until his death in 1987. His leadership and legacy continue to influence the political and cultural landscape of Tamil Nadu. The museum was established to preserve his memory and provide information about his extraordinary life. It displays an extensive collection of memorabilia, photographs and documents, providing a comprehensive look at his multifaceted career and contribution to society.
Architecture of MGR Museum
The MGR Museum has a modern and well-planned architectural design. The building is structured to accommodate various exhibitions and displays related to the life, cinema and politics of MGR. It provides an engaging and educational experience for visitors, with well-organized sections telling the story of his life through a combination of textual and visual content.
Interesting facts about MGR Museum
- MGR, often known as "Purachi Thalaivar" (revolutionary leader), was not only a beloved actor but also a highly influential political figure in Tamil Nadu, serving as Chief Minister for three consecutive terms.
- The museum houses a notable collection of MGR's personal belongings, including clothing, accessories and his iconic sunglasses.
- Visitors can explore a treasure trove of rare photographs, film posters and film memorabilia highlighting his illustrious film career.
- MGR's political journey is well documented, including his rise to power and his impact on the political landscape of Tamil Nadu.
- The museum serves as a place of reverence for MGR's ardent fans and provides an opportunity to the younger generation to learn about his significant contribution.
How to reach MGR Museum
By Road: MGR Museum is located in T. Nagar, a well-connected area in Chennai, accessible by car, taxi or public transport.
By Train: The nearest railway station is Mambalam Railway Station, located at a short distance. From there you can reach the museum by auto-rickshaw or taxi.
By Air: The nearest airport is Chennai International Airport, about 13 kilometers away. Visitors can hire taxis or use public transport to reach the museum.
Nearby famous places
- Valluvar Kottam
- Panagal Park
- T. Nagar Market
- Natson Park
- Kapaleeshwar Temple
- Marina Beach
- Government Museum