|SH 49, Muttukadu, Chennai (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|It opens 10:00AM to 6:00PM Wed-Fri, closed on Tue. Entry fee: Indian Rs.100-120, Indian Student Rs.50, Foreigner Adult 250, Student Rs. 70.
|Art Galleries & Museum, Museum and Gallery
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Parants, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|January, February, March, April
Dakshina Chitra This is a living-history museum in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, dedicated to South Indian heritage and culture. Dakshina Chitra is a heritage village depicting the lifestyle of South Indians in their states. It is displayed through the architecture of the region and the living conditions and habits of the people.
It is situated at a distance of 25 kilometers south of Chennai. It was opened to the public on 14 December 1996, and was established by the Madras Craft Foundation (MCF), an NGO started in 1984 by Deborah Thiagarajan.
Architecture of Dakshinachitra
Initially only five acres of land was available for this project and later the Tamil Nadu government allotted five acres of land. The master plan of the museum was developed by architect Laurie Baker. You can experience living traditions, performing arts, music, crafts and architecture in an area of â€‹â€‹10 acres.
Interesting facts about Dakshinachitra
- Dakshina Chitra actually means "picture of the south" and that is exactly what you should expect to see. Educational and entertaining at the same time, it is the center of a complete orientation to the four states of Southern India.
- The feel of the structure and the soil around it takes the visitors to the cultural surroundings. South Picture is great for both kids and adults as you can try your hand at glass blowing, pottery and traditional games.
- The museum also has nooks and magazines related to arts, crafts and South Indian culture. Craftsmen also show how those items are made.
How to reach Dakshinachitra
By Air:- Chennai International Airport is near Dakshinachitra, which is at a distance of 17 km.
By Bus:- If you want to visit Dakshinachitra Museum by local buses, you have to catch buses 109, 588 and 599 which go to MGM Dizzy World Bus Stop. After reaching the bus stop, you can cover the rest of the distance on foot. The museum is 200 meters away from the bus stop.
By Road:- This museum is located 25 km south of Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu. You can reach the place by your own private vehicle or you can also book a hired cab to take you to the museum.
Nearby famous places
- Gotakeholiday 15.9 km away
- Oasis Gaming 14.5 km away
- Om Sri Skandasramam 15.5 km away
- Thiruporur Murugan Temple 12.4 km away
- Live Art Museum 10.2 km away
- Archaic Craft Collections 11.4 km away
- Kidoos Fun Park 12.8 km away
- Fit Rock Arena 11.9 km away
- Palavakkam Beach 15.8 km away
- Dive Chennai 8.8 km away
- Vaikunda Perumal Temple 15.5 km away
- FootChakra 13.6 km away