|Royapettah, Peters Road, Peters Colony, Chennai (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|The visiting hours at the mosque are from 5.30 AM to 8.30 PM and there is no entry fee.
|Mosques, Religious Place
|Place visit with
|Friends, Solo, Parants, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|January, February, March, April, May, June
|LIC Metro Station (2 KM) Thousand Lights Metro Station (0 KM) AG DMS Metro Station (1 KM) Teynampet Metro Station (2 KM)
About Thousand Lights Mosque
The Thousand Lights Mosque, located at Anna Salai in Chennai, is one of the largest mosques in the country and a revered place of worship for Muslims. This mosque was built by Nawab Umdat-ul-Umrah in 1810, it was constructed in medieval architecture.
Architecture of Thousand Lights Mosque
This mosque is a medieval architectural style building. The average height of the minarets is about 64 feet above the ground. Another mosque was added in 1981, with two tall minarets and five inward curved domes, showing modern West Asian influences. In addition, the mosque is decorated with quotes from the Quran, the holy book of Muslims.
Interesting facts about Thousand Lights Mosque
- The Thousand Lights Mosque in Chennai displays the popular medieval architectural style in its structure.
- The Thousand Lights Mosque is a multi-domed building with two grand minarets.
- Here you will also find sayings depicted on the framework of the holy book Quran.
- In the ground floor there is a main hall for prayer.
- Thousand Lights Mosque in Chennai has a separate hall for women's prayer and worship.
- The Thousand Lights Mosque in Chennai has two rooms called Bargah on the second floor for the sanctuary.
- The wooden planks on the second floor are meant to stand as the sanctuary of Imam Hussein and Abolfazl-al-Abbas.
- Located at the intersection of Mount Road and Peters Road in Chennai, the Thousand Lights Mosque, will take you back into the depths of Islam, inspired by the sight of the mesmerizing aesthetics inside the structure.
How to reach Thousand Lights Mosque
By Bus:- There is Mithun Telephone Bus Station near Thousand Lights Mosque which is 2 minutes walk away.
By Metro:- Near Thousand Lights Mosque is AG-DMS metro station which is 11 minutes walk away.
By Rail:- Kodambakkam Railway Station is 32 minutes walking distance near Thousand Lights Mosque.
By Air: You can easily reach Thousand Lights from the airport in 12 minutes. The approximate driving distance between Thousand Lights and the airport is 10 km.
Nearby famous places
- Kapaleshwar Temple 29 mins away
- Kamakshi Amman Temple 22 minutes away
- Vinayagar Temple 15 mins away
- Shirdi Sai Baba Mandir 2.7 km away
- Parthasarathy Temple 2.7 KM away
- Ramakrishna Temple 3 km away
- Mahalingapuram Sree Ayyappa Temple 2.4 KM away
- Vadapalani Murugan Temple 4.4 KM away
- Panagal Park 23 minutes away
- Government Museum 1.9 km away
- Marundeeswarar Temple 7.8 km away