|Navlakha, Indore (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings:- This museum opens from 10 am to 5 pm and is closed on Mondays.
|Govt. Museum & Memorials, Museums
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Parants, Friends, Solo, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|September, October, November, December
About Royal Museum
The Royal Museum is located near the General Post Office in Bharta, Indore. The Royal Museum of Indore has its origins in the royal collections of the Holkar dynasty, the rulers of the erstwhile princely state of Indore. The Royal Museum was established on October 1, 1929, to collect and reserve antiquities established in the area of the former Holkar State. It was originally located in Lalbagh Palace, the grand residence of the Holkar family, and was later shifted to its present location. The artefacts displayed in the museum range from prehistoric times to the modern era.
Architecture of Royal Museum
The Royal Museum of Indore is housed in a beautiful heritage building, designed with a blend of Indo-Gothic and Maratha architectural styles. Divided into two departments, the museum building itself is a testament to the grandeur and architecture of a bygone era. Its ornate façade, intricate details and beautiful interiors provide the perfect backdrop for its remarkable exhibits.
Interesting facts about Royal Museum
- The museum's collection includes a wide variety of artefacts, including rare coins, statues, weapons and armour, textiles, paintings and decorative arts, demonstrating the cultural diversity and historical significance of the region.
- A highlight of the museum is the Holkar-era Palki Gallery, which houses intricately designed and beautifully decorated palanquins used by the royal family.
- The museum has a notable collection of miniature paintings, which provides insight into the artistic achievements of the region.
- Visitors can explore the museum's numismatic collection, which includes a wide range of historical coins from different periods.
- The Royal Museum of Indore is a valuable resource for historians, art lovers and anyone interested in the cultural heritage of Madhya Pradesh.
How to reach Royal Museum
By Railway Station:- Indore Junction Railway Station is the primary railway station of Indore and is about 3 kilometers from the museum. From here you can take a rickshaw to reach the museum.
By Bus:- Sarvate Bus Stand is about 2.5 kilometers from the museum where one can easily get a bus.
By Air:- Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport is about 8 kilometers away from the Museum. It is easy to reach the Museum by taking a cab from here.
Nearby famous places
- Lalbagh Palace 1.5 km away
- Rajwada Palace 3 Kms away
- Kanch Mandir 2.5 Kms away
- Annapurna Temple 4 Kms away
- Krishnapura Chhatriya 5 Kms away
- Central Museum (Gandhi Hall) 3.5 km away
- Indore Zoo 4.5 km away