|Archdiocese of Bangalore, Bangalore (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|There is no entry fee for the church and the timings of this place are 6 AM - 8 PM
|Churches, Religious Place
|Place visit with
|Family, Married Couples, Friends, Parants, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|January, February, March, April
|Trinity Metro Station (2 KM) MG Road Metro Station (1 KM) Cubbon Park Metro Station (1 KM) Dr. BR. Ambedkar Station (Vidhana Soudha) Metro Station (1 KM) Sir M. Visveshwaraya Station (Central College) Metro Station (2 KM)
About St. Mary's Basilica
St. Mary's Basilica is the oldest church in Bangalore, which is built in the shape of a cross. The church was built in 1882 and has been given the status of a minor basilica, being the only church in the state. The church is popular for the festivities that take place during the St. Mary's Feast in September every year, during which a large crowd can be seen.
On the porch of the church there is a large statue of Mother Mary with baby Jesus in her arms, and the idol is adorned with traditional Indian women's sari every day.
Architecture of St. Mary's Basilica
St. Mary's Basilica is a Gothic-style church, designed by a French architect. The church is 172 feet tall and 50 feet wide, with its stained glass windows, decorative motifs and graceful arches that adorn the walls. The grand and magnificent tower that forms the faÃ§ade of the church is 160 feet high.
Interesting facts about St. Mary's Basilica
- A beautiful 6 feet high statue of Mother Mary holding baby Jesus in her arms just outside the church building.
- Mother Mary is draped every day, in a sari, which is the typical dress of an Indian woman.
- The main feast day of the Church is celebrated every year on 8 September, the feast day of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, with great grandeur.
- St. Mary's Basilica is one of the churches that restores the traditional belief of Christianity.
- The church is a busy part of a Muslim neighborhood and is next to a market.
- Beautiful depictions of various events from the Bible attached here make it a sight to behold.
How to reach St. Mary's Basilica
By Rail:- The church is just 5 km from Bangalore Junction, one can take a private cab or taxi to reach St. Mary's Basilica.
By Air:- The church is located 34 km away from Bangalore International Airport. One can easily reach the church by booking a cab from here.
By Metro:- Nearest metro from the church is Cubbon Park metro station which is 1.5 km away from here, one can easily reach the church by rickshaw.
Nearby famous places
- Shrungagiri Sri Shanmukha Temple 24 minutes away
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore 2.8 km away
- Kashmir Art Gallery 19 minutes away
- Infant Jesus Shrine 4.1 km away
- Sree Surya Narayana Swamy Temple 5 km away
- Bangalore Palace 1.7 km away