The Kolkata Metro is a rapid transit system serving the city of Kolkata in West Bengal, India. Currently Kolkata Metro network has 34 active stations. Find important and useful information like Kolkata Metro route, metro lines, service operation timings, first train, last train, route map, fare chart, top attractions near metro station, metro station nearby, news and more.
|Operator||Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation (KMRC)|
|Operation start||24 October 1984|
|Number of lines||2 Metro Lines|
|Train length||4/6/8 Coaches|
|No. of stations||34 Active Stations|
|Metro Timings||⏱Starting | Ending|
06:45 AM | 10:45 PM
|Metro lines||Terminal station||Terminal station|
|◩ Blue Line||Dakshineswar||Kavi Subhash|
|◩ Green Line||Salt Lake Sector V||Esplanade|
|◩ Purple Line||(Joka||Esplanade|
|◩ Red Line||(Noapara||Barasat|
|◩ Pink Line||(Baranagar||Barrackpore|
|◩ Orange Line||(Kavi Subhash||Biman Bandar|
Kolkata Metro Fare Chart
The fare is based on the pre-determined distance-slabs. Kolkata Metro has the lowest starting fare in the country of Rs. 5. The following is the revised zones and fare for single journey tokens and Smart Cards.
|Zone||Distance (km)||Line 1 Fare||Line 2 Fare|
|I||0 - 2||Rs. 5||Rs. 5|
|II||2 - 5||Rs. 10||Rs. 10|
|III||5 - 10||Rs. 15||Rs. 20|
|IV||10 - 20||Rs. 20||Rs. 30|
|V||20 - 30||Rs. 25||-|
On using Smart Cards for Kolkata Metro rides, you get extra ride value, as following slab:
|Recharge Value||Ride Value|
|Rs. 100||Rs. 110|
|Rs. 200||Rs. 220|
|Rs. 300||Rs. 330|
|Rs. 500||Rs. 550|
|Rs. 1000||Rs. 1100|
- Two new types of Tourist Smart Cards are available Tourist Smart Card – I and Tourist Smart Card – II. This type of smart card is for tourists and have unlimited rides.
- Tourist Cards cost ₹250, valid for a day, and ₹550, valid for three days. A security deposit of ₹60 is also charged.
- Refundable security deposit of Rs. 100 paybale at the time of purchase.
Interesting Facts about Kolkata Metro
- The Kolkata Metro is a rapid transit system serving Kolkata in the Indian state of West Bengal.
- The Kolkata Metro is the first planned and operational rapid transit system in India.
- It was initially planned in the 1920s, but construction started in 1970s.
- The foundation stone of the project was laid by Indira Gandhi, the Prime Minister of India, on 29 December 1972, and construction work started in 1973-74.
- The first elevated stretch, from Bhawanipore (now Netaji Bhawan) to Esplanade, opened on 24 October 1984.
- The first metro was driven by Tapan Kumar Nath and Sanjoy Sil.
- It is the only metro in the country, completely owned and funded by the Ministry of Railways, and to be controlled by Indian Railways.
- The metro network has a mix of underground stations, at-grade stations and elevated stations.
- Currently two lines are operational, Line 1 from Noapara to Kavi Subhash and Line 2 from Salt Lake Sector-V to Salt Lake Stadium. 4 Lines are under construction and planned.
- Kolkata Metro trains operate between 05:45 AM (first train) and 21:55 PM (last train).
- Kolkata Metro has the lowest starting fare in the country starts from Rs. 5 to Rs. 30.
- In 2013 a single type of Smart Card (General Smart Card) was introduced. Two new types of Tourist Smart Cards were also introduced (Tourist Smart Card – I and Tourist Smart Card – II). Online smart card recharge facility was launched on 1 July 2020.
- Trains operate at an average speed of 55–60 km/h (34.18–37.28 mph) and stop for about 10 to 20 seconds at each station, depending on the crowd.
- No full coach is reserved for women, but certain sections of seats in each compartment are reserved for women, senior citizens and the physically challenged.
- The metro railway runs special night-long services during Durga Puja (Mahasaptami to Mahanavami), services start at 13:00 and operate till 04:00 the next day.
Top Attractions of Kolkata City
|Attraction||Nearest Metro (Distance)|
|Babu Ghat||Chandni Chowk (4.5 KM)|
|Birla Planetarium||Park Street (1.0 KM)|
|College Street||Girish Park (1.5 KM)|
|Dakshineswar Kali Temple||Noapara (4.1 KM)|
|Eden Gardens||Chandni Chowk (1.1 KM)|
|Howrah Bridge||Shobhabazar Sutanuti (2.4 KM)|
|Kumortuli||Shyambazaar (0.9 KM)|
|Marble Palace||Girish Park (0.6 KM)|
|New Market||Central (1.5 KM)|
|Park Street||Park Street (1.0 KM)|
|Salt Lake City||Karunamoyee (3.4 KM)|
|Science City||Salt Lake Stadium (4.1 KM)|
|South Park Cemetery||Park Street (1.3 KM)|
|Victoria Memorial||Park Street (1.3 KM)|
Kolkata Metro News
The Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety (CMRS) has given his approval to the Indian Railways to start commercial operation of Metro trains on the 6.5 km long Joka-Taratla Metro corridor of Kolkata Metro. This section has six stations including Joka, Thakurpukur, Sakherbazar, Behala Chowrasta, Behala Bazar and Taratala.