|Near Bihar Sharif town, Nalanda district, Patna (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Nalanda Mahavihara open from 09:30 am to 05:00 pm all days in week (Friday close), Entry fee Rs 15.
|Palace & Landmarks, Monument
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Friends, Solo, Parants, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|September, October, November, December
About Nalanda Mahavihara
Nalanda Archaeological Site is located in the state of Bihar is considered to be one of the oldest universities in the world where you can see many famous artifacts in stupas and viharas, archaeological remains of a Mahavihara or Buddhist monastery. The origin of the educational institution at Nalanda dates back to the 5th century AD and served as a highly recognized seat of learning for an uninterrupted period of 800 years. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is also a testimony to the development of Buddhism as a religion.
Architecture of Nalanda Mahavihara
Nalanda was considered an architectural masterpiece which is spread over an area of 23 hectares. Covered by a high wall and a massive gate, the institution consisted of several temples, viharas (educational and residential buildings), compound, stupas, classrooms and meditation halls.
Interesting facts about Nalanda Mahavihara
- Nalanda is a famous center of education of ancient India and one of the first universities of the country.
- Kumar Gupta I ruled in 415-454 BC when Nalanda was founded.
- A major attraction here is the Archaeological Museum which displays many interesting artifacts including sculptures made of stone and bronze and the seal of Nalanda University.
- Pali language is used for teaching in Nalanda University.
- It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site where you can see the ruins of temples, viharas and stupas.
How to reach Nalanda Mahavihara
By Air:- The nearest airport to Nalanda is at Patna at a distance of 89 km. From here one can easily take a cab to Nalanda.
By Rail:- Nearest railway station to Nalanda is Rajgir which is 12 km away. One can easily reach Nalanda by rickshaw.
By Road:- Nalanda is well connected by road by road, from here it can be reached by public and personal vehicles.
Nearby famous places
- Kundalpur 4 km away
- Bihar Sharif 14.2 km away
- Pawpuri 14 km away