|Location||Kamla Nehru Ridge, Delhi (Map)|
|Entry Fee & Timings||Timings :- This place is open on all days of the week and the referred timings are from 10 AM to 5 PM. Entry Fee:- Entry to this place is free.|
|Place Type||Tower, Monuments|
|Place visit with||Family, Friends|
|Best time to visit||March, April, August, September, October, November, December|
About Flagstaff Tower
The Flagstaff Tower is located on the Kamla Nehru Ridge near the present North Campus of the University of Delhi. Built in 1828 by the British Indian Army, the building was part of the British cantonment and was used as a signal tower. The Flagstaff Tower played an important role during the Indian Rebellion of 1857, when rebel East India Company forces captured Delhi. The tower served as a refuge for the lives of Europeans who were hunted by rebel soldiers and was the site of a fierce battle between British forces and soldiers who had deserted and rebelled against them. Today it is a protected monument and very well preserved with a lush green park around it.
Architecture of Flagstaff Tower
This tower is made of red sandstone, it is closed and inside there is a circular room which can accommodate a crowd of hundred people. It looks like a small fort but is not as secure. In recent times, some parts of the tower have been ruined due to people writing on its wall. Before the deforestation in the year 1910, the area where the tower was built was situated on a hill and was mostly barren and covered with small sized bushes.
Interesting facts about Flagstaff Tower
- It is a strong tower and has only one room but it can be an important shelter for those who take refuge here in times of crisis.
- The tower was built to serve the primary purpose of a signal tower as it was built at a higher height than the surrounding areas.
- The memorial is a single, circular room that apparently could seat 100 people.
- Its fort-like structure made it a secure home for the many families living inside at that time.
How to reach Flagstaff Tower
By Metro :- The nearest metro station to Flagstaff Tower is Tis Hazari. It is a 5-minute walk away.
By Bus :- Khyber Pass is the nearest bus stop to Flagstaff Tower. It is a 4-minute walk away.
By Road:- Delhi is well connected by road, you can easily book an auto or taxi to reach Flagstaff Tower.
Nearby famous places
- Qutub Minar 6 kms away
- Lado Sarai Golf Course 2.5 kms away
- Saket District Centre 5 kms away
- Garden of Five Senses 8 kms away
- Lodi Garden 8 kms away