|Gondia district, Nagpur (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings:- This sanctuary remains open from 7 am to 8 pm.
|Zoo, Nature Sites and Parks
|Place visit with
|Friends, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|July, August, September, October, November, December
About Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary
The history of Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary is rooted in conservation efforts and protection of biodiversity. It was declared a wildlife sanctuary in 1970 with the primary objective of protecting the diverse flora and fauna in the area. Over the years, it has been recognized as an important habitat for various endangered and vulnerable species, contributing significantly to the state's efforts in wildlife conservation. The sanctuary is named after Nagjira Lake, a major feature of the protected area. Its history is a testament to Maharashtra's conservation values, which ensure that this unique ecosystem thrives for generations to come. The continued importance of Nagjira lies in its role as an essential biodiversity hotspot and a site for research and ecological studies, providing valuable insights into the ecological health of the region.
Architecture of Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary
Nagjira Wildlife Sanctuary is a natural habitat, and hence, it does not contain man-made architectural structures. The beauty of the sanctuary lies in its untouched and pristine landscape, consisting of dense forests, vast grasslands, tranquil water bodies and rocky cliffs that provide shelter to the diverse wildlife that call this sanctuary home.
Interesting facts about Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary
- Nagzira is home to a variety of wildlife species, including tigers, leopards, sloth bears, Indian gaur, wild dogs and a rich variety of bird species.
- The sanctuary is known for its tranquil lakes and springs, which serve as water sources for the resident wildlife and offer picturesque landscapes to visitors.
- Nagjira offers excellent bird watching opportunities, with over 150 bird species documented, making it a paradise for bird lovers.
- The sanctuary is involved in conservation initiatives, including habitat restoration and protection of endangered species.
- Nagjira Wildlife Sanctuary offers jungle safaris and eco-tourism, giving visitors a chance to see wildlife in their natural habitat.
How to reach Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary
By Road: Nagjira Wildlife Sanctuary is well connected by road, private vehicles or taxis are a convenient option to travel to the sanctuary.
By Train: The nearest railway station is Gondia Junction, which is well connected to major cities. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a local bus to reach Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary.
By Air: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport in Nagpur is the nearest airport. You can proceed to the sanctuary by road.
Nearby famous places
- Deekshabhoomi 4 Km away
- Futala Lake 5 Kms away
- Ambazari Lake 7 Kms away
- Ramtek Temple 40 Kms away
- Khindsi Lake 80 km away
- Dhamma Chakra Stupa 3 Kms away
- Empress City Mall 5 Kms away