|Brooke Street, Meerut, Meerut (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Shahid Smarak open from 06:00 am to 05:30 pm, all days in week, No entry fee.
|Palace & Landmarks, Monument
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Parants, Siblings
|Best time to visit
|July, August, September, October, November, December
About Shahid Smarak
Martyr Smarak is one of the oldest places in Meerut which was built to commemorate the revolt of 1857. Situated near the Company Gardens, this monument hosts some important events during the main national holidays of India. Shaheed Smarak also houses the government-run Freedom Struggle Museum which came into existence in 1997.
The main objective of the museum is the collection, conservation, documentation and exhibition of cultural assets and making it available for educational activities as well as to create awareness about our glorious past. There are two galleries within the museum containing paintings and artifacts from the time.
Architecture of Shahid Smarak
The museum is divided into five parts and/or galleries. Of these five parts, only three parts of the museum are operational, the rest are closed. The first gallery is gifted with materials that showcase the events leading up to the war. The second gallery contains the events of the war. The third gallery is representing inscriptions from the ancient nation of Meerut, books about the freedom struggle, as well as coins.
Interesting facts about Shahid Smarak
- All the artifacts in the museum are well preserved and the galleries provide a perfect pictorial representation of the freedom struggle.
- Visitors can stay at various guesthouses, private lodges and hotels.
- Some postage stamps, pictures, post cards, commemorative coins from the events of 1857 and later coins are also in the collection of the museum.
- The pillars of the Martyr Memorial are made of marble. Within the premises of the Martyrs Memorial, you will also find the Government Freedom Struggle Museum which is right inside.
- It is a place to pay respect to the freedom fighters who have sacrificed their lives for our country.
How to reach Shahid Smarak
By Rail:- Shaheed Smarak is just 3.7 km away from Meerut Railway Station.
By Bus:- For those who are planning to reach the destination via bus, the nearest bus stand is Bhansali which is only at a walk of 200 meters.
By Road:- You can reach Shaheed Smarak by any public transport.
Nearby famous places
- Gandhi Park 0.7 km
- Sardhana Church 1.1 km
- ST. JOHN'S Church 1.2 km
- Mustafa Castle 1.6 km
- Bhagat Square 1.7 km