|Madh, Mumbai, Mumbai (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings:- All Time Open. No Entry Fee
|Place visit with
|Married Couples, Unmarried Couples, Friends, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|October, November, December
About Madh Island
The history of Madh Island can be traced back to ancient times, and it has evolved with the growth of Mumbai. Historically, it was a fishing village, and its name is said to be derived from the Marathi word "Maath Aai", meaning "Mother of Knowledge." It is believed that the island was a center of religious and cultural activities in the past. Over the years, it has transformed into a tranquil destination preferred by travelers seeking respite from the urban crowd. The island still retains some of its traditional charm, which is reflected in its peaceful atmosphere and coastal beauty.
Architecture of Madh Island
The architectural landscape of Mud Island is marked by modest cottages, farmhouses and a few small resorts located along the beach. The focus here is not on grand architectural structures but on preserving the natural beauty of the island. The area is filled with coconut trees, which provide shade and add to the island's rustic appeal.
Interesting facts about Madh Island
- Mud Island is one of the relatively undiscovered gems of Mumbai, making it a tranquil destination away from the chaos of the city.
- It is popular among weekend travelers and nature lovers, providing an ideal place for picnics, sunbathing and beachcombing.
- The island is home to Madh Fort, a Portuguese-era fort of historical importance, although in a dilapidated state.
- The local villages on Madh Island are known for their traditional lifestyle, and you can explore the vibrant culture of the Koli community, which is deeply linked to fishing.
- This beach is a paradise for bird watchers, as it attracts birds of various species, especially during the migratory season.
How to reach Madh Island
By Road: Madh Island can be reached by road. You can reach here by car or by taking a local taxi. It is approximately 42 kilometers from Mumbai city centre.
By Train: The nearest railway station is Malad Railway Station, about 15 kilometers away. From there, you can take a taxi or auto-rickshaw to reach Madh Island.
By Air: The nearest airport is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai, about 23 kilometers away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi to reach Madh Island.
Nearby famous places
- Aksa Beach 5 km away
- Erangal Beach 2 km away
- Madh Fort 1 km away
- Manori Beach 6 km away
- Kanheri Caves 14 km away
- Esselworld 15 km away
- Global Vipassana Pagoda 24 km away