|Banarasibagh, Hazratganj, Lucknow, Lucknow (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|State Museum open from 10:30 am to 04:30 pm all days in week, Entry fee Rs for Inidan adult Rs 5, Child Rs 3 and Rs 50 for foreigner.
|Govt. Museum & Memorials, Museum and Gallery
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Friends, Solo, Parants, Siblings, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|April, May, June
|Sachivalaya Metro Station (1 KM) Hazratganj Metro Station (1 KM) KD Singh Babu Stadium Metro Station (2 KM)
About State Museum
The State Museum is presently located in the Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Park, Lucknow. The museum was established in 1863 from the collection of Colonel Abbott Upadhyay. The collections housed in the museum include plaster casts of famous sculptures from the Prehistoric period, the Bronze Age, the Indus Valley Civilization, as well as a rich collection of numismatics, paintings, manuscripts and textiles. This four-storey building also houses an Egyptian mummy and a wooden coffin.
Interesting facts about State Museum
- Weapons in the museum's collection include objects from the 16th to the 19th centuries, including guns, cannon, bow and arrow sets.
- The museum has a diverse collection ranging from archeology to paintings and has a rich coin collection.
- The museum began in 1863 with a collection of artifacts kept in a small chhatar-floor building at Kaiser Bagh by Col Abbott, the then commissioner of Lucknow.
- The store served as a municipal institution in its early days until 1883, when it was granted the status of a 'Provincial Museum'.
- The museum was shifted to a larger space in June, 1884 in the erstwhile coronation hall of Lal Baradari, the Nawab of Awadh.
How to reach State Museum
By Train:- Lucknow Junction Railway Station is 4.6 km away from the museum, from here you can take a cab or an auto.
By Air:- The museum is at a distance of 16.2 KM from Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport. You can choose the public service as per your choice here.
By Metro:- The nearest metro station to the museum is the Sachivalaya metro station which is at a distance of 1 km, you can rickshaw from here.
Nearby famous places
- lucknow zoo 0.3 kms away
- Nawab wajid ali shah zoological garden 0.4 kms away
- Butler palace 1.4 kms away
- Sikandar bagh 1.6 kms away
- Hazratganj market 2.1 kms away