|Tees January Road, Delhi (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|Timings :- Gandhi Smriti is open for visitors from 10 AM to 5 PM on all days except Mondays and National Holidays. Fees :- There is no entry fee to visit this place.
|Govt. Museum & Memorials, Monuments
|Place visit with
|Family, Kids, Parants, Siblings
|Best time to visit
|April, May, June
About Gandhi Smriti
Gandhi Smriti, formerly known as Birla House, is a historical monument and museum in New Delhi, India, dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi, the leader of India's nonviolent struggle for independence from British rule. The site holds great historical significance as it is the place where Mahatma Gandhi spent the last 144 days of his life and where he was assassinated on January 30, 1948. It was originally the home of the Birla family, an Indian business tycoon. It is now home to the Eternal Gandhi Multimedia Museum, which was established in 2005. The building known as Birla House was originally built in 1928 by the industrialist Ghanshyam Das Birla. This house served as his residence for many years.
Gandhi Smriti houses a museum that houses a collection of photographs, artefacts and exhibits related to the life of Mahatma Gandhi, his teachings and the events that shaped the Indian independence movement. The museum provides an insight into Gandhiji's principles of non-violence, simplicity and social justice. The Gandhi Smriti is recognized as the National Monument of India and is managed by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. It serves as a place of reflection, education and inspiration, reminding visitors of Gandhi's unwavering commitment to truth, non-violence and social harmony.
Architecture of Gandhi Smriti
The architecture of Gandhi Smriti is typical of the colonial-era bungalow style that prevailed in the early 20th century. The bungalow features a fusion of Indian and European architectural elements, combining simplicity and functionality with a touch of elegance. The building is a two-storied bungalow whose exterior is simple and plain. It has a symmetrical layout and has a central entrance flanked by windows on either side. The building's design emphasizes horizontal lines and a flat roof. The Gandhi Smriti has spacious verandahs and balconies that extend across the front and sides of the building. These verandahs provide shady outdoor spaces where occupants can relax and enjoy the surrounding garden. The architecture includes intricate lattice work (jali screens) on windows and balconies, a distinctive feature of Indian architecture. The mesh allows for natural ventilation while providing privacy and filtering sunlight.
Interesting facts about Gandhi Smriti
- The building is set amidst lush green gardens, adding to the serene and relaxing ambiance of Gandhi Smriti. The garden includes paths, trees and open spaces, creating a peaceful environment for reflection and remembrance.
- One of the most important architectural features is the Shaheed Stambh, which marks the spot where Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated. An eternal flame continues to burn at the base of the pillar as a tribute to his legacy.
- The architecture of Gandhi Smriti reflects Mahatma Gandhi's principles of simplicity and humility. The simple design of the building is in line with Gandhi's lifestyle and philosophy.
- Inside the building, visitors can view the museum's exhibits, which showcase Gandhi's life, philosophy, and contribution to India's freedom struggle. The architectural layout allows for a meaningful and informative visitor experience.
How to reach Gandhi Smriti
By Metro :- The waste metro station of Gandhi Smriti is Khan Market. It is a 20-minute walk away.
By Bus:- The western bus stops of Gandhi Smriti are Claridges Hotel and Krishna Menon Marg. Weight is 6 minutes walk.
By Rail:- Tilak Bridge is the nearest railway station to Gandhi Smriti. It is a 19-minute walk away.
Nearby famous places
- Rajghat 2 kms away
- India Gate 4 kms away
- National Museum 4 kms away
- Lodhi Garden 5 kms away
- Humayun's Tomb 5 kms away
- Lotus Temple 7 kms away
- Qutub Minar 9 kms away
- Jama Masjid 9 kms away
- Connaught Place 10 kms away