|Peacock Island, Baruah Souk, North Guwahati, Guwahati (Map)
|Entry Fee & Timings
|There is no entry fee and it remains open from 5:30 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. throughout the week.
|Temple, Religious Place
|Place visit with
|Friends, Married Couples, Solo, Parants, Youngsters
|Best time to visit
|January, February, March, April
About Umananda Temple
Umananda Temple is a Shiva temple situated on top of a hill called Bhasmakala on the river Mayur Island. The grand temple was built in 1694 by Bar Phukan Gadadhar Singh. According to the legend, Lord Shiva resided on this island in the form of Bhayananda. Apart from Lord Shiva, there are 10 other Hindu deities whose idols reside in the temples. The site has stone sculptures and carvings belonging to the early medieval period. The temple allows the visitors to immerse the spirits in their serene and surreal environment.
Architecture of Umananda Temple
The temple of Umanada was built in the Kamrup style with a red dome. Temple Assam is exquisitely designed and can be reached by stairs.
Interesting facts about Umananda Temple
- This temple is one of those charming places that gives a mix of sacred vibes, scenic views and historical touch.
- Apart from Lord Shiva, there are idols of 10 other Hindu deities in the temple.
- The annual festival of Shiva Chaturdashi is the most important festival of the temple.
- More than 150 steps have to be climbed to reach the temple.
- According to legend, this island was built by Lord Shiva to please his wife Uma. Hence this place is called Umananda.
- Inside the sanctum sanctorum, a small Shiva Linga is visible at the ground level.
- The mountain on which the Umananda temple is built is known as Bhasmakal.
How to reach Umananda Temple
By Road:- This temple can be reached by boat from Guwahati.
By Air:- The nearest airport to the temple is at Guwahati, which is 22 km away from the ghat, from here one can easily take a taxi to the temple.
By Train:- The nearest railway station to the temple is in Guwahati which is 3 km away. The destination can be easily reached by rickshaw.
Nearby famous places
- Kamakhya Temple 4.80 km away
- Navagraha Temple 5.23 km away
- Nehru Stadium 5.62 km away
- Assam State Museum 5.96 km away
- Basistha Mandir 6.46 km away